Axe Elf Helps You Win Your MFL 10 League

A

Axe Elf

To me, defenses are the lowest priority, since they are the most variable. I just try to get a couple that either have good kick returners (Arizona), a good secondary (Kansas City) or play some scrub teams a couple times a year (anyone in the AFC-lol). The only time you get a "big" defensive score is if your team scores a TD or two--and you can't really predict that. Other than that, they all score about the same.

I kind of explained my later round in my OP, but yeah, the RBs are all pretty much gone by the time I take Hillman in the 10th. After that, you're picking whichever backups you think are most likely to get into the game--and as I said, I kind of like taking a flyer on Denard Robinson as the kind of guy who could pop up with a big score in a couple of games and contribute to your point total. There are a bunch of sleeper WRs left most of the way through the draft, though--Rod Streater, Jacoby Jones, and Leonard Hankerson have been some guys I've taken shots on.

And now back to the current draft. I have to admit, while there are a few more TEs I'd take at this point, having both Pitta and Olsen gone makes them less of a priority again--especially when I wake up to see Tony Romo still on the board.

Romo and Ryan as my QBs? Yes please!

efactor

Coming at you
Very surprised Romo was still there. Olsen was the last of the TEs I really felt comfortable with as a starter, so lucky to snag him.

In the other league that started yesterday, huge WR run early compared to this draft. Not crazy about Wilson, but he was still there at 4.6 so I took him. Charles, Morris and Wilson along with Andre. My WRs could be ugly though.......

ExperiencedRookie

As far as 3 Ds, interesting thought. I would rather take another RB or WR and hope they break out personally.

My draft has been so awful anyways, might as well gamble with a defensive strategy. Even if you can hit a couple extra 20 point blow up games, it will help. my squad needs it!

A

Axe Elf

I may be overthinking things, but here I am going into the 10th round and still no TE. At first I was gonna take Ronnie Hillman with my pick here in the 9th--I usually take him in the 10th, but just to keep efactor from sniping him, I was going to draft pre-emptively. Then I noticed I already have three of my top 8 draft picks with a Week 9 bye--adding a fourth would probly make for a pretty crappy score that week--so I took Danny Woodhead instead. Same kind of "Darren-Sproles-lite" philosophy, with some upside when (not if) Ryan Mathews goes down.

On the brighter side of TE drafting, I don't have Dennis Pitta in very many of my MFL 10s, but I did have him in this one where I just happened to be up in the 16th round as the news of his injury broke. I don't usually carry 3 TEs, but it seemed to be a prudent pick to take Ed Dickson behind Pitta and Heath Miller at this time. Lucky me.

efactor

Coming at you
You're right, Hillman wouldn't have gotten back to you. I took D Richardson in the 9th and was hoping for Hillman in the 10th but some MFer took him. I really like my team except for RB depth. T Richardson and Jackson better stay healthy.........

efactor

Coming at you
On a side not, in the other league that I am in, I got Witten at 5.6 and Peyton at 6.7. Pretty good value but at a cost to my WR depth..........

A

Axe Elf

Yeah, can't really let either Peyton or Witten slide past those slots. Sounds like you're in with a bunch of noobs in that one--din't you say you got Charles and Jackson to start with too--or was it just Charles?

Money.

Jackson is an iron man, but Richardson is the one that will have you biting your nails.

wical34

My reality check bounced.
Just started one today.. Ray Rice fell to 1.11 and came back with Jackson at 2.2.

This is the 2nd draft I've been a part of that Rice has fallen deep.. Anyone else crossing this pattern?

efactor

Coming at you
Yeah, can't really let either Peyton or Witten slide past those slots. Sounds like you're in with a bunch of noobs in that one--din't you say you got Charles and Jackson to start with too--or was it just Charles?

Money.

Jackson is an iron man, but Richardson is the one that will have you biting your nails.

Chares, Morris, Andre, Wilson, Witten, Peyton, Tavon Austin and Blackmon through round 8. Obviously, I'm weak at WR until Blackmon comes back, but gonna load up and hope some flyers hit.

efactor

Coming at you
Just started one today.. Ray Rice fell to 1.11 and came back with Jackson at 2.2.

This is the 2nd draft I've been a part of that Rice has fallen deep.. Anyone else crossing this pattern?

I've done two and he went 4 in one and 5 in the other. Great start at 11..........

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
landed Lynch at 10. about had TRich fall in my lap....now lets see who falls to me in 2.

so how many QB's has everyone been drafting, i think in this format a atrong 3 man rotation makes a lot of sense.

ExperiencedRookie

so how many QB's has everyone been drafting, i think in this format a atrong 3 man rotation makes a lot of sense.

my assessment of the QB situation in these drafts is based on how high of a pick you spend on a QB. With a guy like Brees, Rodgers, Peyton, etc etc I feel its ok to get a backup like Carson Palmer and nothing else and feel just fine about it. Without a top guy, I think its a solid play to get 3 QBs like Romo, Palmer, and Tennehill

A

Axe Elf

When I went into these, I thought 3 QBs would be the way to go too. But as they played out, I have never felt like I had to go that way. I end up using that extra roster spot for a RB or WR sleeper. I guess that's usually because I have always had a strong QB1 like Ryan or Romo, and I figure that backing him with another yardage-monster like Carson Palmer is enough--especially based on what is usually left by the time I would be drafting a 3rd QB. I mean, how often is Brandon Weeden or Alex Smith gonna outperform Ryan/Romo and Palmer? I feel better using the late pick on a Denard Robinson or Leonard Hankerson or someone who might pop up and axually contribute a few weeks, especially if an MJD or Garcon goes down.

ExperiencedRookie

When I went into these, I thought 3 QBs would be the way to go too. But as they played out, I have never felt like I had to go that way. I end up using that extra roster spot for a RB or WR sleeper. I guess that's usually because I have always had a strong QB1 like Ryan or Romo, and I figure that backing him with another yardage-monster like Carson Palmer is enough--especially based on what is usually left by the time I would be drafting a 3rd QB. I mean, how often is Brandon Weeden or Alex Smith gonna outperform Ryan/Romo and Palmer? I feel better using the late pick on a Denard Robinson or Leonard Hankerson or someone who might pop up and axually contribute a few weeks, especially if an MJD or Garcon goes down.

Certainly seems unlikely that any of those late QBs would outperform both a Matt Ryan and Carson Palmer on any given week.

It's probably the same amount of uncertainty of a guy like Leonard Hankerson to out performs the likes of Calvin Johnson, Randall Cobb, and Reggie Wayne on any given week too though. Either way, it's a very thin way to try to get an edge. Neither is wrong in my opinion

A

Axe Elf

I guess since I've taken Justin Blackmon a lot, I figure I'm going to be thinner at WR for the first month and could use an extra contributor there. Then it seems like I always have 2 RBs and at least 2 WRs with the same bye week, so that's another week that a wildcard sleeper RB or WR could potentially contribute. I have more RBs and WRs than any other positions, so more chance of one of them getting hurt. All of which point to the efficacy of depth at the RB and WR positions over a 3rd QB, which is more likely to be the odd man out anyway.

By the way, I like Hankerson a lot if Garcon continues his string of injuries. Hankerson had the lowest drop rate on the team last year, and is a "third year WR" waiting to break out behind the gimpy Garcon and the aging Moss. He also broke some of Michael Irvin's records at Miami.

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
my first r4 picks have started out Lynch, Bryant, Cruz, Bowe. Conventional wisom says RB here in the t5th, but someone is sliding and I may have to jump on a QB.

A

Axe Elf

Uh oh... my first MFL 10er of the season and I see axe elf is in the 1 spot. lol

YEAH! My first #1 overall pick, and only the second time in 10 leagues I've had a slot higher than #6!

Gotta take Peterson, but I woulda gone Charles from the #2 on down.

So which team are you?

wical34

My reality check bounced.
Brady, Ryan, Kaepernick and Wilson fell all the way to 7.09 in one I'm in. Unfortunately Ryan went the pick right before mine. Settled with Kaepernick at 7.11. Took Blackmon at 8.2.

1. Ray Rice
2. Steven Jackson
3. David Wilson
4. Vincent Jackson
5. Mike Wallace
6. Vernon Davis
7. Kaepernick
8. Blackmon

Really not sure how this will pan out, weak at WR I feel.