Bengals falling short of criminal quota: Sign Tank Johnson

Miller

Who Dey
Administrator
Please believe me here. I clicked on this thread to read it, saw one of Phicins epic quote jobs, preceded to the bottom to find out what was the last thing said, and saw where Runnicks edited Miller's post. I am not complaing about that, but just wondered how that happened???? Remember............I'm old an slow!!:grin:
Being a FL you can edit posts if you need to.....or I guess if I misspell something ;)

maverick824

I'll chime in LOL.....the Bengals have, in the past, consistently tried to sign big and fat as a space eater in one of the holes to shore up (before) a consistently bad run defense (anyone remember Sam Adams?). I think now with Peko and Sims, this simply is a case of something the Bengals need, and have sorely needed for the past few seasons. DEPTH!!!!! This is the biggest glaring hole on this team, worse than any starter. And it's due mainly to the fact that Mike Brown REFUSES to hire a GM. The Bengals simply have no depth ANYWHERE on the roster, so when a starter goes down, they're simply done. The Tank signing, even if by accident, does create depth at DT now. Phic's absolutely right in the fact that we need someone who can consistently provide pressure on the QB. It just pains me to see that we consistently bargain hunt every year at DE, but we do.

I'd LOVE to see us trade down from 6 come draft day and get the picks. It won't happen, because Mike Brown simply doesn't ever do that, but it's the smart move for a team that needs a lot of good players as opposed to a couple of potentially great ones. I think after losing TJ, trading COC is probably a mistake. Even with all the distractions he is oh so willing to provide, if we do pull the trigger and move him, what weapons do we really have left on offense? Are defenses going to still play the run straight up with neither COC or TJ threatening them vertically? Doubtful. Keep in mind we also have the brilliance of the imaginative and innovative Bratkowski calling the plays. Keep Chad, trade down from 6, get players that provide depth, and build from there......

That being said, this is Mike Brown. He'll keep Chad, not because he won't get good value for him, but because they already have the stance that he's staying regardless of the distractions due to last year. We won't trade down, will likely reach for a project, Rounds 2-5 will be spent on high potential guys that we probably don't need, and I'm guessing after the injury bug hits us in the first 8 games, we'll all be ready to start the next round of gripes when we're sitting at 2-8 or 3-7 about how this should have been different.....

Coachnorm

Lol, You should chime in more often, that was great.

Hmmmm... Should I classify Tank as accidental depth, incidental depth or unintentional depth.

maverick824

LOL, Coach, consider me optimistically pessimistic :)

I'd probably classify the signing as incidental depth.....Tank's being brought in to start, I'm sure he wouldn't have signed any other way, so in essense, this basically pushes Peko and Sims down the pecking order, the Bengals have depth now because he signed a FA to be a starter at a position where it can be argued that we already have two pretty serviceable starters, granted, they're not marquee, but if we hadn't signed Tank, I don't think DT would have been the worst hole on this team....

The Ram

Half Man, Half Amazing
I think it is a good signing by the Bungholes. Tank can still play, all. If used correctly he could be a force again.

Runnik's Hambones

I agree Ram. He's been quite since he left Chicago. I think this actually is a wonderful move by Cinci. Now I think they should use their draft picks accordingly.

Coachnorm

Now that the bashing is over and everybody is fessing up. I must admit I like the move to grab Tank by the Bengals myself.

Mike

Administrator
Not getting into all the Bengals needs debate (they have many needs), but as far as the Tank Johnson signing...

I don't see it as a bad move at all. Granted, I was pissed that Dallas signed the guy. The guy had just repeatedly gotten into trouble for the same thing.

However, it seems like maybe the jail time helped. In Dallas, he kept his nose clean, and he isn't a bad player. Dallas gave him a chance (against my will) and he seems to have taken full advantage of it.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Uh no, this is just plain wrong. In fact when all the trade rumors were floating last year I was the one telling folks why they intended to keep COC. I am not biased to COC. I actually like the way he plays. But I also think that this year....they have finally decided it is time to set this team up the way Lewis wants. So if they get a decent offer...I am betting he is gone. I obviously could be wrong...evidently they did try hard to resign T.J. Still, even in that they waited to the last possible moment to really try......could it have been knowing he would go if the offer was right elsewhere?
Well, with Lewis' press conference today, you can tell there will be no trade of COC. Not sure this is a great move....but then again you weren't gonig to get 2 first round picks like you walked away from in the past. So for better or for worse....COC will remain a bengal.

Phicinfan

Expert on nothing, opinionated on everything
Administrator
Short of the AVN Awards, who knew the non trade of COC would be a press conference worthy event.:shake:
Well, what brought this on was the report on some site by T.J. that chad is calling crying to him about wanting to leave. If it happened.

Plus with the draft here....always talk of trades and such.

still....I agree..getting really tired of this around here......meaning cincy area.